BELT MAKING ANNOYING WHINING NOISE

• cdo234
  • 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Hi, I have a 2006 chevy monte carlo lt with a 3.5l six cylinder engine. Over the past several months there has been this whining sound coming from either the serpentine belt or the power steering pump. I had the belt replaced about a month ago because it kept slipping when I would turn the wheel too far and had hoped that wouldve solved my problem but now my new belt is already starting to slip also. I had just recently gotten the rack and pinion replaced because it was blown and was leaking fluid, this was my second one in 2 years. This made it smoother to steer but the whine is still there but is very quiet now. Could someone please help me?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 5:14 AM

• DrCranknWrench

It is probably the power steering pump. Relieve pressure on belt and see if there is anay play in the pulley.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 5:25 AM
  • cdo234

I had a feeling that my pump was going bad again. I just needed a second opinion. Do you think this would explain the belt slippage as well?

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 1:19 AM
  • DrCranknWrench

If the belt is slipping you might want to look into the belt tensioner and make sure that it is providing enough tension.

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 AT 3:37 PM