Recently I was driving on the highway and after.

TREVORCOX
  • 2006 CHEVROLET COBALT
Recently I was driving on the highway and after about 30 minutes, the coolant temperature light came on, and then 5 minutes after I noticed reduced power and the car would not accelerate. I pulled over to the side and turned the car off and it won't start again. It cranks but just whines and nothing.
I was late for an oil change and just going into the city to get one. The car was also low on coolant and oil I noticed when I pulled over, I tried re filling and nothing, and when I opened the hood there was quite a bit of smoke and could smell a burning smell. I am thinking possible head gasket? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Monday, March 4th, 2013 AT 2:46 AM

HOMER1967
Yes it does sound like you may have blown a head gasket, I would suggest that you have someone do a leakdown test on the vehicle to confirm or deny the head gasket issue. Do no keep cranking it, you could do more damage.
Monday, March 4th, 2013 AT 2:50 AM
TREVORCOX
Great thanks I'll get that done tomorrow, gonna try and get it done myself with a mechanic friend to hopefully save money, want to make sure it's a head gasket before I buy the parts
Monday, March 4th, 2013 AT 3:33 AM