TEMPERATURE TO HIGH WARNING YELLOW THEN RED

2006 BMW 330

cherubwings

June, 27, 2012 AT 7:09 PM

Good day all.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this thread.

I have a 2006 330i BMW with 65K miles on or 104 000km.
I pulled it out this morning at 11 degrees Celsius or 51 F and did not give it anytime to warm. I drove very slowly till about 2K revs. Drove for about 20km and a sudden warning came up that I should stop to prevent engine damage. First yellow then red. I stopped immediately and could hear the fan working yes. Waited about precisely 5mins and it went off. I waited another 10 mins and opened the cap where I then saw the water level is ok, I added some water about 750mls of it and drove off without any warnings for about 10km. Very important to mention is that before I opened the cap I saw some water along the sides of the cap and what seems like oil but dont have the smell or texture. There the car stood still at work for 10 hours. I got in and put some more water in after loosing the small plastic screw on the side by the cap until the water came out, about 400ml of water. I drove to my home for about 30kms without any warnings and when I got home I thought im going full-out and drove it for about 6km full taps manually sports mode for it to get warm and the engine to overheat. I thought it would give me the warning again after such excruciating driving but it didnt. I parked the vehicle and let the engine run for 10mins but still no warnings and when I switched off the engine the fan was not even working. What I did hear while the engine was running was that the fan ran high for 5secs then low for 5secs then high for 5sec ect. When I checked the cap and along side it there wasnt anything wet at all and I hammered the car as one should do.

Anyone, sorry for the long explanation, just want to give you all the info.

June, 27, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

Inspect and test the coolant temperature sensor and also check the fan relay

cherubwings

June, 27, 2012 AT 9:01 PM

Thanx for the quick reply, I will let you know a soon as I get a chance to.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang