WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ODB CODE READER AND ODB SCANNER?

2006 Audi 100

justingss

May, 8, 2012 AT 10:13 AM

What is the difference between odb code reader and odb scanner? I have read some saying that for a code reader the engine light needs to be on but for it to work. I have read some saying that for a code reader the engine light needs to be on but for scanners does not.

May, 8, 2012 AT 10:28 AM

My definition between the two, A code reader just reads the code and a scantool gives you live data on parameters and actuators

angelasa

May, 9, 2012 AT 2:43 AM

A code reader is just that it reads codes a scanner will read codes and will read readyness status of monitors. A code reader just pulls codes. A scanner pulls codes, stores freeze frame data and you can view live sensor data. The engine light may not be on but there may still be a codes stored in the computer. The code reader can still be used to check for codes that don't turn the light on. In a word it is Same as scons and scones if you ask me

mhpautos

May, 10, 2012 AT 11:29 AM

You just have to make sure that your car will support live data on the unit you end up purchasing, some manufacturers block live data read out with out a factory scanner.