What is the difference between ODB code reader and ODB scanner?

JUSTINGSS
  • 2006 AUDI 100
What is the difference between odb code reader and odb scanner? I have read some saying that for a code reader the engine light needs to be on but for it to work. I have read some saying that for a code reader the engine light needs to be on but for scanners does not.
Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 10:13 AM

My definition between the two, A code reader just reads the code and a scantool gives you live data on parameters and actuators
Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 10:28 AM
ANGELASA
A code reader is just that it reads codes a scanner will read codes and will read readyness status of monitors. A code reader just pulls codes. A scanner pulls codes, stores freeze frame data and you can view live sensor data. The engine light may not be on but there may still be a codes stored in the computer. The code reader can still be used to check for codes that don't turn the light on. In a word it is Same as scons and scones if you ask me
Wednesday, May 9th, 2012 AT 2:43 AM
MHPAUTOS
You just have to make sure that your car will support live data on the unit you end up purchasing, some manufacturers block live data read out with out a factory scanner.
Thursday, May 10th, 2012 AT 11:29 AM