WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OBD1 AND OBD2

2006 Audi 100

selinagrey

May, 7, 2012 AT 1:28 AM

What I want to know is more than the difference one the surface, more professional

fixitmr

May, 7, 2012 AT 1:42 AM

Why? You swapping parts that are from different yrs?

fixitmr

May, 7, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

Basically 1 is manufacturer proprietary and 2 is universal.

asafeng

May, 8, 2012 AT 2:43 AM

OBD-I was implemented to help diagnose the earliest Automotive on-board computers by monitoring certain parts of the systems electronically controlled fuel and ignition systems. But individual manufacturers were allowed to design their own diagnostic systems, which made it necessary for mechanics to have different software to access the data from various brand vehicles.

Manufacturers started incorporating OBD-II in various models as early as 1994. All cars built since January 1, 1996 for sale in North America have been required to have OBD-II systems. This system features standardized trouble codes for all makes of cars for most common problems. It also provides almost complete engine control and monitors parts of the chassis, body and accessory devices, as well as the diagnostic control network of the car.

This provides the ability to communicate with Body Control Modules which control things like Anti-Lock Brakes and Traction Control, Active Suspension systems, Anti-Theft systems and many other items not related to engine performance like the earlier systems were confined to.

fixitmr

May, 8, 2012 AT 9:30 PM

I forgot to ad they are NOT compatable.