WHEN THE WEATHER IS COLD AND I START MY CAR ...

2005 Volvo XC90

Anonymous

December, 31, 2012 AT 8:43 PM

When the weather is cold and I start my car, there is a high-pitched whirring sound coming from under the hood. It gets higher and faster as the rpms increase. Noise stops after the car is warmed up. Noise is louder and lasts longer, the colder the car is. My dad thinks it is the transmission belt? Husband thinks I'm low on transmission fluid. Help!

JIS001

January, 3, 2013 AT 2:43 AM

YIKES! Noises are so hard to try and diagnose online? Is there any way you can post an audio of the noise like on youtube to listen to it? Maybe if we can hear it we can get a better idea? Also how many cylinders is your vehicle? Is it an inline 5, inline 6 or I am dreading this but is it a V8? If it is a V8 you could be looking at a major repair bill if the balance shaft bearing is going bad? But like I meantioned before, it would be nice to hear hit?