MY CAR IS GETTING ON AVERAGE OF 1113MPG FUEL ...

• willcourson
  • 2005 Volvo S60

My car is getting on average of 11-13mpg fuel economy. I do not drive hard or accelerate fast. I put the suggested 93 octane fuel in it, but the gas mileage is horrible. The car runs smooth and starts up great. It is the AWD with a turbo, but the gas mileage still shouldnt be that bad. I get on average of 100 miles to a half tank. Any ideas?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 5:49 PM

• gmtech
  • 553 posts

Awd uses more gas, high octane fuel actually gets worse mileage than 87 octane. What condition are the tires in. Are they set to the right pressure. Winter also has a factor on it. You use more gas in the winter. How clean is the oil filter. Are any engine lights on?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:13 PM
  • gmtech
  • 553 posts

Sorry it should be how clean is the air filter

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:14 PM
  • willcourson

The tires are almost new. I just changed the oil, and with it I changed the air filter. They are at the correct pressure. I understand that one will get worse mileage in the winter, but 11-13 mpg is a little rediculous I would think. Specially since it is rated at low 20's. I have read that sticking break calipers could be one reason or even spark splugs?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:26 PM
  • gmtech
  • 553 posts

If you haven't changed the spark plugs yet do that for sure

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:30 PM
  • willcourson

I just bought the car in September, so I am assuming that they might have not been changed in a while. Would you have any other suggestions? Are you very familiar with Volvo's?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:34 PM
  • gmtech
  • 553 posts

I don't have a lot of experience with them no, but cars in general. With that kind of mileage the plugs are overdue. Try that and see what happens. You can also do an injector flush

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:38 PM
  • willcourson

Ok I will try that. What is an injector flush and how would I go about doing one? I am asuming that you flush out the fuel injectors, but is there a special way to go about that?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:46 PM
  • gmtech
  • 553 posts

I know our shop has a special tool. You can buy some injector cleaner to put in your gas tank not as good but worth a try

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:48 PM
  • gmtech
  • 553 posts

If you do that do it first before changing the plugs because you don't want to foul up your new plugs. Measure the gap on the old ones to see how worn they are

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:49 PM
  • willcourson

I did try that. I put some of that Lucas in my gas. It helped a little bit for a short period of time, then it went back to how it was. Could that possibly give a bigger indication that it may be the plugs?

Monday, February 4th, 2013 AT 6:50 PM