CAM timing marks

HEIN
  • 2005 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

I need to know where to align the cam timing mark on the car listed above it the 1400 model with an eight valve blm engine. I changed head gasket. I can see the mark on the pulley, but what does it align with? There is no backing plate only a plastic cover with no markings this is different to the Jetta or Golf that is why I need advice.

Sunday, April 8th, 2012 AT 3:14 PM

2CARPROS KEN

The manual way is to remove the valve cover and look at number four cylinder. It has to be on valve overlap which means the intake and exhaust are open at the same time the exact amount of lift. You can use a level on the lobes to verify.

You should be able to look at these diagrams so you can see where the marks are (below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Saturday, October 21st, 2017 AT 2:54 PM
ANESHSUKDEN
  • 2001 VOLKSWAGEN POLO

Hi,

I am from South Africa and I have a 2001 VW Polo Playa 1.6. I think my engine timing has been set off. I am familiar with cars and would like to sort it out myself but I dont know where the timing marks must aling. Do you maybe have a timing sheet I could follow.

Saturday, October 21st, 2017 AT 2:54 PM (Merged)
EXOVCDS

Do you know the engine code? There are different versions of the 1.6L engine. I need to know which one you have, so that I can find the correct information.

Thomas

+2