OIL LOSS

2005 Pontiac Sunfire

Chris in Mtl

July, 17, 2013 AT 8:52 AM

Hi, I have an '05 Sunfire (212 000km) that is in good shape except for the oil level being unstable. I have the 2.2 Ecotech engine & it runs very smoothly. But it is apparently burning off a 1/2 liter of oil every 3-4 days of average use, mabe 100km of driving.

I just replaced my '99 Sunfire, which did not lose more that 1 liter of oil in 12yrs of driving, so it's abit of a surprise that the '05 is going thru oil

There is no trace of oil dripping on the ground, no sign of an oil leak under or around the engine block. And no particular odor or discoloration of burning oil in the exhaust. Except for the dropping oil level, the car is running as well as can be expected. In many ways it behaves as nearly new.

I'm wondering if this is some known issue with the Ecotech engine? I''ve worked around cars half my life, and have not seen oil seem to simply disappear like this.

Thanks, Chris in Mtl.

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

caradiodoc

July, 17, 2013 AT 10:33 AM

The easiest way to find this is to add a small bottle of dark purple dye to the oil, drive the car a few days, then search with a black light, including at the tail pipe. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you can follow back to the source of the leak.

Chris in Mtl

July, 17, 2013 AT 11:04 AM

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Crankcase Ventilation System
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma