CAN SOMEONE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE WITH MY FUEL GAUGE SHOWING IMPROPER READINGS???

• ibdarobman
  • 2005 Pontiac Bonneville

My fuel gauge gives an improper reading even after I've put gas in it. Sometimes it shows have full when there's less that that much gas in it. It sometimes shows just above empty when I've put 6 to 8 gallons in it.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 6:18 PM

• factoryjack

Most often it is related to the sending unit, and the fingers on the float arm that contact the resistance card. This higher than specified resistance will cause erroneous readings in the fuel gauge, and it can relate to how much fuel is sloshing around in the tank. Replace the sending unit, accessible through an access panel in the trunk, under the floor carpet panel.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 6:31 PM
  • cadieman

Youll need to drop the fuel tank and replace the fuel tank sending unit.I would replace the fuel pump whyll in there. Ty for using 2carpros

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 6:35 PM