AIR CONDITIONER SOUND

2005 Mini Cooper

smithla47

July, 30, 2011 AT 11:24 PM

I have a 2005 Cooper with a sound coming from the air conditioner unit. Basically, when engaged and at idle, there is a noticable whine above normal engine noise. When proceeding through the gears at speed, the sound increased to a howl-as you gear down, the sound becomes less audible. If the ac is shut down duiring driving, the noise completely disappears.

Any ideas?

Wrenchtech

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:05 AM

Sounds like you have a bad compressor. You need to have that verified by a competent technician.

saturntech9

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:08 AM

You could have a bad bearing in the a/c clutch remove the belt and spin the a/c pulley by hand and listen for that noise.

Wrenchtech

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:12 AM

I would expect it to be an internal bearing instead of pulley bearing since it disappears when the clutch is disengaged.

saturntech9

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:24 AM

If its not the outside then its the inside if you rule out the outside you know its the inside.

Wrenchtech

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:27 AM

Wouldn't disengaging the clutch be doing just that? Pulley still turning, noise gone.

saturntech9

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:37 AM

There would be more of a load on that outter bearing with the a/c engaged and could only make noise with the a/c on anything is possible. Iam not trying to argue with you iam just trying to help this person fix there car.

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro
Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic