CAN THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER BE CLOGGED WITH NO POWER LOSS??

2005 Mazda RX8

josedsmborda

September, 14, 2012 AT 9:55 PM

I have mazda RX-8 I just replaced the engine on and the dealer tells me theat catalytic converter is melted but I feel no power loss at all is this poosible?

ALLPRO

September, 14, 2012 AT 10:49 PM

Its possible to have damage but feel no power loss.

Is the check engine light on? If so what are the codes?

September, 15, 2012 AT 8:44 AM

Catalytic converters can go bad without clogging and if it is melted, it is due to overheating mostly due to excessive fuel getting to it, a misfiring conditin. If problem was before replacement of engine, it wcould be the engine fault but if it is still overheating, glowing red hot after some driving, you need to ensure there are no misfiring or excessive fuel getting to the catalytic converter.

Wrenchtech

September, 15, 2012 AT 10:10 AM

I think the issue is the terminology that you are using. A "clog" by definition would be something that definitely would effect performance but there are many ways a Converter can be damaged/faulty and require replacement without actually being clogged. As KHLow2008 pointed out, there is likely an underlying cause of the damage that needs to be found.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen