2005 MAZDA 3 2.0 16 VALVE ENGINE

• papemofe
  • 2005 Mazda 3
  • automatic

Very, very loud tapping and clicking coming from engine 2005 mazda 3 2.0 My mechanic said 4 lifters have reached maximum specs. All the others are perfect. Will changing these 4 lifters correct the problem?He is not sure if changing these lifters will correct this problem. What do you advise? Thank you very much

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 12:08 AM

• obxautomedic

Ok, How long has it been making the noise? When first started do you check the Oil Level?

When you took it to the mechanic did he check the Oil Pressure?

If it is the lifters I would highly recommend replacing all of them not just the ones that are bad. However, since it is only 6 years old there is another problem somewhere to cause them to fail prematurely.

There are other possibilities to the noise and won't know for sure till start taring down.

What you should do is ask what the cost would be for your mechanic to pull valve covers and look at cams, valve springs and all for ware.

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 2:24 AM
  • mazda_tech_toronto

Check the clearance on all the lifters and order them according to the clearance. Eg. 0.005" clearance. Order a 0.005" lifter cap. The 2.0L engine is also known for excessive tapping noise from the injector rail. Try switching it with an injector rail from a 2.3L mazda 6.

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 2:48 AM
  • obxautomedic

Thanks for the info, mazda_tech_toronto

Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 2:14 PM