Air blows out defrost only?

DAVIDO
  • 2005 JEEP LIBERTY
Hello, I have a 2005 jeep liberty and the ac and heat only seems to blow out the defrost position. What could cause this and where is the location of the problem to look at for the fix? I am mechanically inclined so I am willing to do whatever to fix the problem. Thanks for yopur help
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 1:28 PM

DOCFIXIT
Suspect faulty vacuum check valve behind glove box item 4 see diagram
+2
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 1:37 PM
DAVIDO
Thank you for responding so fast. I see what your wanting me to look at and I have 1 line going in and then 2 lines coming out on the other side. All the hoses are connected to #4. Other than just eyeing to see if connected was there something else to do at that point? Thanks
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 1:47 PM
DOCFIXIT
Diagram misleading check valve is plastic thing remove if can blow both was the valve faulty
+1
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 2:08 PM
DAVIDO
I apologize. Not understanding your response. What I did was start the car removed the plastic valve and what I got was suction on the side with the t or 2 hoses and nothing on the other. I am not sure if this does anything for you but please let me know what I need to do from here. Thanks
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 2:22 PM
DOCFIXIT
Turn mode select switch to Recirculate is there vacuum on hose 2?
+1
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 2:39 PM
DAVIDO
Thank you for responding. I started the car and put it on recirc and disconnected hose #2 from the diagram and the is NO suction. Next?
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 3:04 PM
DOCFIXIT
Problem in mode select switch need to remove check for vacuum to switch if present and does not switch vacuum to mode actuators then switch faulty.
+1
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 3:10 PM
DAVIDO
Thank you for responding. So I pulled the dash panel and removed the hoses from the back of the direction switch started the car and got NO suction from any of the hoses and from the switch. Next. Thanks
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 3:55 PM
WRENCHTECH
I think you want to verify supply coming into the passenger compartment in the first place.
Look under the hood for a small black plastic hose coming through the firewall. Follow it to the vacuum source looking for any breaks, cracks or leaks. Also follow any other lines that branch off because they may go to a vacuum reservoir (storage tank) and a leak there will cause the same problem. Using a vacuum gauge to determine if you have full vacuum at any given point is the best way to find it.
+1
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 4:12 PM