Key will not turn, is it the cylinder lock or ignition switch?

BCMULLEN95
  • 2005 HONDA ODYSSEY

It started a few days ago, I jiggle the key and turn the steering wheel until it turned. Now the key will not turn at all. I want to know if it is the cylinder lock or ignition switch. How can I check to find out? Tried lubrication and it is still won't turn. I can't find any other keys to the van just the one key. From the research I have done aren't these a common problem with the odyssey's and the whole cylinder lock has to be replaced?

Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 AT 11:44 PM

FIXITMR

Lock cylinder problem is fairly common issue. you can get it repaired by a locksmith.

Here is a guide that might help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ignition-switch-wont-turn-stuck

Please let us know what you find ;)

+2
Friday, March 23rd, 2012 AT 1:48 AM
BCMULLEN95

One of the tumbler was bent and a lock smith replaced the tumbler for $65. Cylinder lock now turns. Thanks for the help the site rocks!

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 9:42 PM
DICKBYRNE9

To do temp fix on ignition lock/key problems. Play with the steering wheel, shift lever and brake. Any one could be defective but I suspect you need a locksmith for a permanent repair.

Sunday, April 29th, 2012 AT 11:20 PM
BCMULLEN95

In regard to the tumbler one of the pins was busted and a locksmith repaired without any problems. Cast was about 75 for the locksmith to repair it.

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 AT 7:16 PM
KODAK
  • 1995 HONDA ODYSSEY

Interior problem
1995 Honda Odyssey 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 195000 miles

The ignition will not turn with car in park. Nothing seems to free it to trun and start the car.

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 AT 11:41 AM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Hi Kodak,

If turning the steering wheel to release the tension on the locking pin does not help, the key tumblers are stuck and you might need some lubricants in the key cylinder with some twisting and turning to get it working again.

Get a locksmith to rebuild the tumblers or replace the key cylinders once you can get it going.