CAR WILL START, BUT THEN SHUT OFF WITH-IN TWO SECONDS.

2005 Honda Civic

randun13

May, 24, 2012 AT 4:11 PM

Whether letting it idle on own or revving it, will still shut off after same time amount.

I just did some 'routine' maintenance to prevent any problems on an up-coming road trip. I replaced the drive belts, timing belt, alternator, and installed a K&N Intake kit. Also did a motor oil, coolant, and MTF change.

The car starts quickly as usual every time, but seems to shut itself off after almost 2 seconds. Doesn't matter whether 500 or 5,000 rpm. The engine is a 1.7 liter SOHC

Docfixit

May, 24, 2012 AT 9:10 PM

Recheck air intake installiation may want to reinstall OEM

randun13

May, 25, 2012 AT 4:17 AM

I did that tonight, but the issue still remains. Also tried holding the ignition after car started to see if it perhaps would tell me something, but it still dies after seconds.

Docfixit

May, 25, 2012 AT 6:20 PM

If this started after repairs check to see if a sensor is diconnected also is check engine light on?

randun13

May, 25, 2012 AT 6:27 PM

All sensors have been cleaned and connected. Check engine light does not remain on. Just re-checked all vacuum lines, they seem good. I'm inclined to think it's the fuel pump or pump relay, but those both tested functional. What energizes the fuel pump relay, that could be the source of my malfunction?

Docfixit

May, 25, 2012 AT 6:36 PM

The computer closes relay. Do you have way to check fuel pressure? Will it restart after shuit down? Is there spark after it dies?

randun13

May, 25, 2012 AT 6:56 PM

It does restart after shut down, every time. There is spark after shut down. While I was at work my brother tested the fuel pressure and said it was normal, though I haven't tested it myself.

Docfixit

May, 25, 2012 AT 7:14 PM

Would help to check for codes you said Timming belt replaced right? Would help if knew what stops spark or fuel. Hook up guage for fuel see if pressure drops off when it dies

randun13

May, 25, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

The computer is showing no codes when I scan it, I'll check to see if the fuel pressure drops after engine dying.

Docfixit

May, 25, 2012 AT 8:36 PM

O.K. Going to contact a buddy that is great on Hondas so you maybe geating a posy from klow

reagan_dre0

May, 26, 2012 AT 3:30 AM

Check the pickup coils in the distributor and also the distributor shaft

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500