ODOMETER TO DIM TO SEE

2005 Ford Freestar

hobbsd1

July, 31, 2011 AT 11:10 PM

I have a ford freestar 2005, the odometer is too dim to see when I start my car outside. If I start the car in the garage, then I can see the odometer (and associated computer info) dimly until I move outside. I had all the instrument panel light bulbs replaced ($350) which made no difference in the problem. Just for a matter of 1/2 second when the car starts, the intensity of the LED light is about right, but dims down immediately. This is a safety hazard, as I can't see when the car is telling me something is wrong, like a door not closed completely. Any ideas as to what need to be tested to ensure I get at the problem?

The Ford man

July, 31, 2011 AT 11:32 PM

I think that you gave me clue as to what your concern may be. You stated that the instrument panel lights are adaquately illuminated for a brief second before they go dim. The Ford interior lighting system is designed to dim when the headlights are on. I am guessing that you may have auto-lamps equipped on your vehicle? If so, see if they are coming on at the time the interior lights go dim. Shut the auto-lights off for a test; if that works and you are in daylight when they are suppose to be off, look for something such as a dash cover blocking the sunload sensor that is mounted to the top of your dash. I have seen just last week a person with the same issue.

hobbsd1

August, 1, 2011 AT 12:16 AM

Yes I have an automatic lights switch, but it makes no difference in the overall intensity of the odometer light when the lights are on, off, or on automatic. Yes when I start the car in my garage, the head lights do come on immediately. I do think that there may be a problem with the Interior lighting system but don't know where it is, or how to test so I know if it is the problem or not.

hobbsd1

August, 1, 2011 AT 4:40 AM

The Sunload sensor is clear, Can you tell me what modules are in the circuit for the odometer and associated computer output intensity. So far I have 1. Sunload sensor, 2. Dimmer switch, 3. Some kind of control module, 4. LED readout in instrument panel. Is this correct?

The Ford man

August, 1, 2011 AT 7:28 PM

Yes, and this is where I will give you an answer that you may not like: A repair facility with the capabilities to test and monitor BCE modules is the next step. There is a couple of these modules including the instrument cluster (which is a module itself) needs to be tested for diagnostic trouble codes and monitor the inputs and related outputs that are in the circuit. I do not know any other way.

hobbsd1

August, 2, 2011 AT 1:51 AM

OK, Thanks for the answer, this is what I was looking for if it means taking it to the dealer and having them do the testing, that is fine. I always like to know what is involved before I do that though.
Thank you

The Ford man

August, 2, 2011 AT 2:32 AM

You are welcome.

August, 2, 2011 AT 1:29 PM

THE FORD MAN!!!!

THINK THIS FELLER MAY BE LOOKIN' FOR YOU!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-freestar-talk-to-thefordman

THOUGHT I MIGHT HELP YA'LL LINK UP!

The Ford man

August, 2, 2011 AT 7:49 PM

?

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Blend Door Actuator Replacement