FRONT AXLE

2005 Ford Freestar

jmbnab

November, 1, 2013 AT 7:03 PM

I am replacing the front wheel bearing and hub assembly. The axle nut was rusted solid onto the axle. I had to cut it off with a cut off wheel and chisel it off in pieces. Here is my question. What is the thread size on the drive axle so I can clean up the threads with a die.

saturntech9

November, 1, 2013 AT 8:23 PM

We don't have that info but here's what I would do usea measuring caliper to measure the ddiameter and a thread pitch gauge to get the thread pitch. The die isgoing to be eexpensive you might just be better off getting a new axle.

jmbnab

November, 2, 2013 AT 3:55 AM

Thanks I was thinking of measuring it but wasn't sure how it would turn out with it being stupid metric. I have a new axle nut and was thinking of trying to match that with a tap. Cost of the die isn't important because hopefully whatever size it is, is in the metric set at work that I can borrow for free. Thanks for your input and fast response.

saturntech9

November, 2, 2013 AT 7:09 AM

Problem your going to have is most of the axle nuts are fine thread and beating that size most taps and dies that size are course thread.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Service - Front