I GOT A UK SPEC 05 NEW SHAPE FORD FOCUS FOR A ...

2005 Ford Focus

nitromad

November, 9, 2012 AT 11:57 AM

Hi I got a uk spec 05 new shape ford focus for a while now my car as had intermittant rough idle with strong smell of fuel. Also has intermittant non starting hot or cold I can turn key untill batt nearly flat with outstarting yet if I stop and turn key again it starts within micro seconds. Also lastly it can have reduced power while driving at same point when other problems pops up.

i had the car in multiple repair centers hooked to fault finders and manual labour checking over engine even took to local fords all same answer no codes no leaks etc etc

ps engine has full service every 12 months that inclues fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, a/c regas if needed and filters for that.

now at a lost and fed up wasteing money trying to fix.

November, 9, 2012 AT 4:13 PM

Such problems are difficut to detect and the most likely cause I can think of is a relay that is intermittently not working. Try swapping the power hold and fuel pump relay with others to see if it makes a difference.

If you are able to test what is missing causing the non starting when it occurs, that would be the ideal solution.

nitromad

November, 9, 2012 AT 4:24 PM

Thank you for reply I will try swaping relays and test and get back to you.

"If you are able to test what is missing causing the non starting when it occurs, that would be the ideal solution."

how would you recommend doing this?

I did forget to add also if I run fuel low so that petrol light comes on with "50 miles left" on computer if I refill with say just tenner worth of fuel even know fuel bar has move to 1/4 tank light will stay on unless I added more fuel again intermittently not everytime would this point to another problem or be connected to same problem?

gavin

November, 9, 2012 AT 4:33 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Above link explains how to check for problems when engine fails to start but in your case, it is not going to be easy because if you crank it a few times, it works so you might not have the time and opportunity to check them out. A scan tool to monitor the condition would be easier but then it needs to be malfunctioning before you can find out wat is not working to specs.

The fuel problem might be related to the problem as problem seems to be electrically related and could be from a control unit or its circuit.

nitromad

November, 9, 2012 AT 4:38 PM

Ok thank you for that I have got usb scanner for laptop unfortually I have no idea what spec are I best find out.

I will report back after I had chance to swap the two relays as stated thank you

November, 9, 2012 AT 4:46 PM

Monitor the crank and cam sensors for a start.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement