TIMING BELT

2005 Dodge Stratus

tc555

May, 12, 2011 AT 2:15 AM

2005 dodge stratus replacing timing belt 2.4 L. Is there any way to lock the cams in place while installing belt?

caradiodoc

May, 12, 2011 AT 6:12 AM

There's no tool like you might find for some GM engines. The easiest thing to do, as long as the old belt isn't broken, is to set the crankshaft sprocket at top dead center and leave it there. Valve spring pressure might cause the cams to turn when you loosen the belt, but when the opening valves hit the pistons, the cams will stop rotating without causing valve damage. Turning the crank is what will damage the valves, and since you're starting with it already at TDC, nothing will happen. When you turn the cams to line up the timing marks, you'll be moving the valves away from the pistons, not into them.

tc555

May, 12, 2011 AT 3:11 PM

Belt broke at speed, is this an interference engine or not? I've heard it both ways.

caradiodoc

May, 12, 2011 AT 4:01 PM

The older single cam 2.4 was an interference engine. I don't know about a 2005, if they changed the design or not, and I've never really heard anything about the double cam engines.

Once the new belt is installed, run a compression test to check the valves. Another test is a cylinder leakage test. I can describe that if you've never heard of it. The compression test will tell you if there is leakage. The cylinder leakage test will let you determine where the leakage is occurring.

tc555

May, 12, 2011 AT 5:19 PM

I have both a compression tester and a leakdown tester, thanks for your time.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet