ENGINE OIL LEVEL IS DECREASING, BUT NO EVIDENCE OF A LEAK

2005 Dodge Stratus

gordon678

December, 21, 2011 AT 6:56 PM

Engine oil level is decreasing, but no evidence of a leak. Was substantial and now seems to not be too much of a problem. Maybe a quart every other month. Is this something I should be really concerned about?

No lights have come on, but a few months ago my car was several quarts low. I have made a habit of checking it since then, but it doesn't seem to be that severe anymore. Maybe needing a quart every other month or so. It does get regular oil changes.

I believe it is also leaking from the transmission oil cooler line. It is not burning oil, there is not smoke or oil puddles under my car, just a water like substance that leaked a few times, but hasn't been leaking as of late. I don't know if it is a problem since it seems to be subsiding, but wanted to know if it is major or not before trying to tackle the issue.

December, 21, 2011 AT 7:08 PM

It could be burning it

check this link

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/blue-smoke-from-engines-exhaust

If its not burning in the cylinders and the leak is on the oil cooler-start there-might not be leaking that much while stationary but when the engine is under load this is where the oil pump pushes more oil through out the lubrication system-

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Air Filter Replacement