I have milky looking stuff in my radiator, how do I change the radiator?

WIZZAP
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
I have a 2005 dodge neon other day I noticed steam coming from under the hood I popped the hood and the over flow was dripping I didn think it was a big deal so I let it sit a few days later I open the radiator and it was verey milky looking I smelled it I have more questions as I proceed ill tip for sure
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 12:18 AM

WIZZAP
Just noticed I didnt post my question right so hope people can help ill repost it here.

I have a 2005 dodge neon other day I noticed steam coming from under the hood I popped the hood and the over flow was dripping I didn think it was a big deal so I let it sit a few days later I open the radiator and it was verey milky looking I smelled it and it was transmisson fluid after search net figured out to replace my radiator. Anyway to the question how do I remove the transmisson lines from bottom of radiator the look like they are just stuck into the nut of the radiator I dont wanna break the lines and cause more problems.2nd question if I unhook tranny lines is it safe to flush old radiator or do I wait to put new one in and flush I dont want to get gunk in new one if possible
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 12:21 AM
WIZZAP
Quick update : got my hands on a service manual from pic looks like it uses hose clamps but my connection does not have hose clamps do I cut them off
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 12:46 AM
SATURNTECH9
You will have to wait till you install the new radiator and hook the transmission cooler lines back up. Otherwise you will loose al your transmission fluid when you start the engine with the transmission cooler lines off.
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 1:22 AM
SATURNTECH9
So your transmission cooler lines have flared end with a nut that screws into the radiator?
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
WIZZAP
Nope they are not flared it looks kinda like a plastic nut but its not a nut its more round
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 1:34 AM
SATURNTECH9
I just looked at a spectra radaitor for your car and it has threaded holes at the bottom of the radaitor where a threaded hard line would screw in. Can you post a pic of what your looking at?It would really help.
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 1:47 AM
CADIEMAN
Look at the new rad. Do you see threads in the coolant line holes?
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 1:48 AM
WIZZAP
Ill have to post pics later ist dark now ill do it first thing in the morning. But im thinking they are screw on lines after more searchs
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM
SATURNTECH9
If you have male ends that thread into the radiator then you should be fine from what I see on the new radiator. Post the pics tomorrow and I will see what your talking about.
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 2:13 AM
WIZZAP
The metal part is the radiator the black part going into the nut turns with my fingers but doesnt lossen or come off im so lost on top of the the radiator I ordered the hose looks like its in wrong spot on the pic than what I have payed last payment on car and it tore up
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 9:59 PM
SATURNTECH9
Looks like the nut part threads into the radiator the new radiator has threaded holes.
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 10:27 PM
WIZZAP
I followed the lines up top and the have same connection going in to the tranny so I looked at them very good the black parts are caps I got a rag pulled them and the popped off but the lines are still held in with some kind of clip any ideas
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 10:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
I posted a diagram of the radaitor it shows barbed nipples screwed into the radaitor transmisson cooler. Are you sure those nuts dont unscrew?Your replacing the radiator you have nothing to loose trying to unscrew them. Do you have the new radiator?If so are there open female threaded holes going into the transmission cooler on the new radiator?
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 11:15 PM
WIZZAP
I'm sure they dont unscrew its some kind of clip im kinda worried cause all replacement radiators show either holes or nipples so may not be able to hook a new one up id hate to have to total car over a radiator here is another pic not sure if it will help
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 11:23 PM
WIZZAP
Wondering if they use those plastic tools like on a mustang fuel line
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 11:25 PM
SATURNTECH9
Doesnt look like the tool your thinking of will work I dont see anywhere the tool can fit in. You can always use a piece of rubber hose with hose clamps to connect the cooler lines to screwed in nipples on the new radiator. Let me ask a fellow moderator about this one and see what he says.
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 11:39 PM
WIZZAP
Thanks saturn ill stand by
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 11:52 PM
WIZZAP
I wondering if they are like these
Sunday, May 20th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
WIZZAP
Also the replacement hook ups look nothing like whats on there now
Monday, May 21st, 2012 AT 12:02 AM
WIZZAP
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=680409&ukey_product=4362887 this site shows type i got
Monday, May 21st, 2012 AT 12:13 AM