INTERMITTENT GRINDING NOISE POSSIBLE TRANSMISSION PROBLEM?

2005 Dodge Caravan

onetruelovie

May, 4, 2012 AT 5:18 AM

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT with 62,000 miles. 3 weeks ago as I was pulling into a parking lot I heard a very loud grinding noise coming from the front of the car, drivers side. I stopped the car and the noise stopped as well. Tried to reverse and got a "shudder". Put the car back into Drive and the loud grinding sound started again. Pushed on the gas and once it got up to about 15mph the noise stopped. This has happed about 5-6 times in the last 3 weeks. Not everytime we drive it, whether the engine is warmed up or cold. Inclines do not seem to make a difference. It does it in Neutral too. We have taken it to a general mechanic who drove it several times, couldn't find anything wrong and didn't hear the noise. Transmission fluid is red, no smells. No check engine light and no codes. 2 transmission places kept the van overnight, drove it several times. But because it is intermittent, they were unable to hear the sound. Yet they told us we probably needed a new transmission anyway. Does this sound right? Has anyone heard of this happening before? Even in Neutral?

May, 4, 2012 AT 6:43 AM

Where exactly is this noise coming from? Is it the transmission or the drive axles

onetruelovie

May, 4, 2012 AT 8:06 PM

It is really hard to tell since it only does it when it's moving in 1st gear. By the time we stop and pop the hood the noise has stopped. Best we can tell is it is coming from the drivers side, towards the firewall, not the very front. Very perplexing.

May, 7, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

Its kind hard for me to troubleshoot noise over the internet without you helping me out where its emitting from-

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger