2005 Dodge Caravan A/C not working

OMEGADOG
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
My 2005 Dodge Caravan A/C is not cooling I put some refrigerant in with no results. There's a clicking sound off and on coming from the unit. The fan is blowing hot air. Need some advice on solving this problem.
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 4:14 PM

SEANGRANT00
If you put too much refrigerant in the system it will shut itself off. Watch the compressor and the clutch. After you turn on the A/C, watch to see if the clutch continues to spin or shuts back off. This is the click you are hearing.
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 4:16 PM
OMEGADOG
Are you saying I put too much refrigerant in, if so, will that keep the system from cooling? I believe the compressor is turning, but the system isn't cooling. What do I need to do?
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 5:46 PM
SEANGRANT00
Yes, overcharging a system can cause it not to work. You can check a couple other things too that could cause this.

Check the expansion valve, fuses for the A/C, leaks anywhere on the lines or A/C system, clogged condenser.
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 6:14 PM
OMEGADOG
Where is the expansion valve located? I would think the fuses are ok, since the fan is working and the A/C will come on, i'll check all the suggestions you mentioned.
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 6:23 PM
OMEGADOG
Thanks you have been a great help in diagnosing my problem.

Goodbye,
Omegadog
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 6:44 PM
SEANGRANT00
Your very welcome.

Sean
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 7:57 PM