TRANSMISSION NOISES AND PROBLEMS DOE IT NEED A REBUILD OR A SHIFT ACTUATOR OR ???

2005 Chrysler Town and Country

rnorenberg

October, 1, 2012 AT 1:32 AM

I have a 2005 chrysler town & country 115,000 miles auto trans. Here is the problem. I just drove the van on a 5,000 mile road trip. While in the mid-west I had some issues. Reverse was chattering, blinding and clunking. Additionally at times when slowing down with my foot off the gas, after the van would down shift into first, (so we are talking less than 10 miles an hours) I would hear a sound that I would describe as a loud ticking noise or ratcheting. This went on and on for three days worth of driving. At the time I wasn't sure if we would make it home as it was very bad at times. Now that I am at home it is acting normally. The transmission has had the fluid and filter changed every 15,000 miles. I have an aftermarket trans temp gauge in the van and the transmission has never been overheated. I have no transmission or power train codes, however I have some interesting ABS codes, that I don't think are related. One code for each wheel speed sensor (input signal missing) and one code for engine module missing. The ABS light went on and off twice during the trip but I doubt that ABS is causing the transmission problem, I am basically trying to deturman if I need a rebuilt transmission or a shift actuator or something else. What do you think?

October, 1, 2012 AT 1:48 AM

It sounds like the torque converter is having an issue.

Get it checked at a shop to see if there is any metal in the pan. It may need to be rebuilt.

rnorenberg

October, 1, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

A better description of the ticking or ratcheting noise would be, it sounded like a heavy chain dragged over metal. Any thoughts as to what that might have been?

rnorenberg

October, 1, 2012 AT 6:02 AM

The clicking or ratcheting sound, which is something like the sound of a heavy chain dragged over metal, could that be a clutch pack?

October, 1, 2012 AT 11:25 AM

It could but I doubt it.
I still think you have a converter issue. You need a trained ear to listen to it and do the proper checks.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz