HOW DO I CONFIRM IF TIMING BELT WAS CHANGED OR NEED REPLACEMENT?

2005 Chrysler Sebring

contactdk

October, 18, 2011 AT 5:19 PM

Power windows malfunctions often, how to fix? I bought it few months back and owner told me about the change being done around 90k kilometers, however, didn't had any receipt for the same. Now, I was thinking if it can be checked if it's correct and timing belt is in good condition or need replacement?

rivermikerat

October, 19, 2011 AT 3:29 AM

You could tear it down and see if any of the numbers are still on the belt brightly. Power windows issue could be a bad ground, loose connection, or a faulty relay or switch.

contactdk

October, 19, 2011 AT 12:44 PM

Thanks Rivermikeart. However, being a newbie and first time owner would like to understand how do I check this on my own or need to visit a mechanic (though I asked for it during oil change last month and he said it's cumbersome to check it and said I should decide to replace as checking or replacement would have same labor charges.)

rivermikerat

October, 25, 2011 AT 11:41 PM

Invest the $20 in a Chiltons or Haynes manual. It will describe the process of getting at your timing belt. Here are 2 images that show somewhat what's involved.

Wrenchtech

October, 25, 2011 AT 11:51 PM

It is difficult for even an experienced tech to determine how old a timing belt is sometimes. That's why it's so important to record the maintenance like this. It's something that you can't take a chance with. If it was changed real recently, then it should still be pretty obvious once you remove the covers to expose it which is no 5 minute job either.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement