HOW DO I CONFIRM IF TIMING BELT WAS CHANGED OR NEED REPLACEMENT?

• contactdk
  • 2005 Chrysler Sebring

Power windows malfunctions often, how to fix? I bought it few months back and owner told me about the change being done around 90k kilometers, however, didn't had any receipt for the same. Now, I was thinking if it can be checked if it's correct and timing belt is in good condition or need replacement?

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 AT 5:19 PM

• rivermikerat

You could tear it down and see if any of the numbers are still on the belt brightly. Power windows issue could be a bad ground, loose connection, or a faulty relay or switch.

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 3:29 AM
  • contactdk

Thanks Rivermikeart. However, being a newbie and first time owner would like to understand how do I check this on my own or need to visit a mechanic (though I asked for it during oil change last month and he said it's cumbersome to check it and said I should decide to replace as checking or replacement would have same labor charges.)

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 12:44 PM
  • rivermikerat

Invest the $20 in a Chiltons or Haynes manual. It will describe the process of getting at your timing belt. Here are 2 images that show somewhat what's involved.

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 AT 11:41 PM
  • Wrenchtech

It is difficult for even an experienced tech to determine how old a timing belt is sometimes. That's why it's so important to record the maintenance like this. It's something that you can't take a chance with. If it was changed real recently, then it should still be pretty obvious once you remove the covers to expose it which is no 5 minute job either.

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 AT 11:51 PM