ENGINE STARTS AND THEN CONTINUES REVING

2005 Chevrolet Venture

pegasuskat1

March, 18, 2013 AT 2:06 AM

Engine starts and then continues reving. Mass air flow sensor was replaced; oxygen sensor was replaced. Engine runs with no problem except for the reving. We are at wits end! Please help. Thanks!

saturntech9

March, 18, 2013 AT 2:56 AM

Have you looked for a vacuum leak yet?Also have you checked for codes?

pegasuskat1

March, 21, 2013 AT 1:08 AM

Thanks for your response. I towed it to Pepboys and they told me that I have a cracked air box. I was told that it needs to be replaced. I was told by another mechanic that I do not have to replace the air box. I was in a car accident and that side was pushed in and they say that it is close to impossible to replace with a new box. Also they told me that the spark plugs were fouled (whatever that means) and that they should be replaced along with the plug wires. How does one look for a vacuum leak?

saturntech9

March, 21, 2013 AT 2:24 AM

The best way to look for a leak is with smoke you can build a smoke machine or use a cigar. You can use a plastic bag around the throttle and use the intake tube to hold the plastic bag in place. Then put the smoke in the vacuum line going to the brake booster and watch for smoke escaping?

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast