I have a leak in my power steering

JAIME2912
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
I have a 2005 chevy trailblazer. Last night I drove simply around my block to pick up my kids in the rain. I noticed that the power steering was moaning when I turned the wheel but the power steering was working fine. Get up this morning & low & behold The power steering fluid when I added it about a quart lasted less than 5 min before dispersing to the ground. If it helps it looked foamy when on the pavement as it was shot out that quickly

I dumped the only 2 quarts of power steering fluid I had in it to get my kids approx less than 1/2 mile to school. While there I could see power steering fluid literally dripping(was more like a river) coming off of my radiator and actually dripping down my air damp. I am going to attempt to get it off the ground & take a look since it possibly sounds like a pressure hose. My problem is this, I have no car to get to an auto parts store for the next few hours, I have tons of oil but no more power steering fluid. Is there any substitute I can use to help me find this leak? Also would you have any idea where I could get a diagram of the power steering pump & it's hoses, it looks like a maze under the belly with everything been smashed it tightly some even sideways? Thanks for any help.
Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 5:43 PM

FIXITMR
Foaming happens when the pump mixes air with oil cause it's starved for oil.
Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 6:11 PM
JAIME2912
No I dont even know where to begin looking for the specific hoses in what seems to be a maze under there. Any suggestions? And what could I possibly substitue for power steering fluid to help locate it? Thanks
Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 6:32 PM
CADIEMAN
You can use transmittion fluid. No problem you need check the pump the pressure hose or the steering rack. If its leaking that bad youll see it.
-1
Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 6:33 PM
JAIME2912
Do you have a clue where I can get a diagram for the parts & hoses? Im a novice & a female with no fear to try but don't wanna screw more things up
+4
Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 6:38 PM
FIXITMR
Some vehicles have a power steering hose that was not made to specification, and may rupture under extreme steering conditions. If this were to happen, power steering assist would be lost and steering effort would increase. On vehicles equipped with hydro-boost brakes, braking effort would also increase. If power steering fluid were to spray on hot engine parts, an engine compartment fire could also occur. Dealers will inspect the power steering hose(s) for the two suspect date codes and replace them if needed. The recall began October 14, 2005. The GM recall number is 05086.

Here's a part diagram of section where leak is likely. And yup trans fluid is a hydraulic oil.
+1
Friday, October 14th, 2011 AT 7:43 PM
BRYAND102597
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
I been having a hard time with my powersteering noise I put power steering fluid in it cause it was low and went round block and pik up some groceries and steering was making noise agin and hard to turn it is leaking from some were in front on driver side
Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 10:26 AM (Merged)
Wash it all off if you can then it's probably the pressure line going to the box/rack or one of those fix that first. See pic after you get it finished repairing it then fill system and turn to lock one way for 10 seconds then other way for same. Do that 4 times.
YHOLLEY
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
  • 155 MILES
My chevy trailblazer wont hold power steering fluid? I think its the racket pinion.
+1
Check both the high pressure hose and the return hose to the pump. If the rack is leaking, check where the inner tie rods connect to it. That is where the leak will most likely be.