Door won't stay closed

DAVEINBOSTON
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
2005 chev malibu. When closing the front passenger door this morning, the door didn't close all the way as if the seat belt was in the way. The latch in the door was in a down position. Using my key I raised the latch, locked and unlocked the doors with my key. Finally the door closed and latched. (I don't remember the sequence of events.)
Tonight the same thing happened but nothing I tried worked. The door closes all the way, but once I remove my hand, the door doesn't stay closed. Locking the car with door closed doesn't help. The door won't stay latched.
We are experiencing very cold weather. Could this be a cause or is it something to do with the actuator? The only thing that has worked is to sit and let the car warm up and then we can get it to shut. I'm probably going to have to take it in for service.

Dave
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 5:34 AM

JACOB
My girlfriend and I experienced the same exact problem this morning on the rear driver-side door, it wouldnt stay closed at all. I could easily maneuver the latch inside the door to the correct position and then when I tried to close it, it just bounced back everytime as if their was a seatbelt in the way. So I very gently closed it and I could feel the latch just barely engage. As if I could jus pull the door without using the handle and it may pop open. She said that months ago it also happened on the passenger side rear door. Now the other side. Makes me thing its a defect and not just the result of weather. P.S. We are also experiencing extreemely cold weather right now in Montana
+3
Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 4:31 PM
KEN

What happens is the door latch itself needs to be replaced due to internal wear and the cold just makes the problem worse.

You will need to take the door panel of to replace the latch. This guide will give you an idea of what it will take the panel off.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/door-panel-removal

Here are some diagrams that shows the latch and the three bolts you take off when changing it.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, January 11th, 2018 AT 3:50 PM