2005 CHEVY MALIBU POWER WINDOWS

• joecinohio
  • 2005 Chevrolet Malibu

2005 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

Have a 2005 Chevy Malibu. Main/driver side power window switch no longer working. Only front passenger power window works; the other three power windows do not work. Started a month or so ago, where I could only put the windows up and down periodically. For example, would have to play with the switch (five buttons – four windows and child lock) in the drivers side front (up, down, etc.), Sometimes for 20-30 minutes. Finally, it would “catch" and I could then power up/down all four windows from the front driver side. The issue got progressively worse, taking a half-day or so, before it would catch and I could use the windows. Now, the only power window I can use is the front passenger, and only when using the switch on the front passenger door. No other windows or power window switches, apart from the front passenger, is working. I thought it might be the main power window switch (five-button part), so I bought a used one on E-Bay Motors. I put the switch in, but still does not work. I’m not much of a mechanic, so I didn’t know how to test the replacement power window switch that I purchased. I was thinking that maybe that is still my problem and that I should bite the bullet and buy a new one, but didn’t want to do so if that isn’t really my problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 7:49 PM

• cadieman

Need to start checking voltages. Buy a teslight for quick voltage checks. It is either a bad switch or motor. Test for power to the master switch then go up and down on the switch buttons. U should have power on each button going up and down testing the wires. Remove the other switchs they should have power and power going up and down also.A easy test for a bad motor is to hold the window switch to go down and bang on the panel with your hand.A bad motor will start working.

Thursday, February 9th, 2012 AT 11:09 PM
  • spreadhead100

Out of curiousity as I have this same exact issue, how could a bad driver side motor affect the rear windows? Wouldn't the power going thorugh the motor be "passive" and carry on through the wiring to the rear windows?

My issue started shortly after my battery died and replaced it. That couldn't possibly have anything to do with it could it?

Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 3:45 PM
  • rivermikerat

A schematic might help you diagnose this. Here you go.

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 2:13 AM
  • cadieman

Have u tryed to check the motor by holding the switch to go down and bang on the panel?

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 4:05 AM
  • spreadhead100

Well, it is defintiely not the switch. I purchased a new one from Auto Zone, installed it, and nothing happened.

As far as the motor, I have held down the switch and banged on the door panel. However, nothing happened when I did that.

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 9:16 PM
  • rivermikerat

See if the motor is getting power when you click the switch. If not, trace the circuit out to see where power stops. Start at the switch, then go to the relay(s), and then the power source. Etc.

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
  • ghostops

I had the exact problem same car 2005 chevy Malibu. Main/driver side power window switch no longer working. Only front passenger power window works; the other three power windows do not work. I bought a new switch same thing Long story short for me. Where the hinges are for opening /closing
the driver side door there is a boot like thing that protects the wires also where the wires pass through to the body into the car. I was not getting any power because the wire that need to supply power to the switch was pinch and cut in that area I mentioned. Fixed it all windows work great.

Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 AT 9:15 AM