WHEN I START THE CAR AND BEGIN TO DRIVE THE ...

2005 Chevrolet Impala

grahamphillip136@yahoo.com

When I start the car and begin to drive the engine races as you continue to drive it stays at a high idle when you proceed to slow down and use the break the car doesn't want to stop, the rpms wont slow down as the car comes to a stop the engine wont idle down I shut the car off before I shift into park so the engine isnt raceing when I shift into park. What can I do to fix the problem?

What is litre size of engine? Any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free.

Clean the throttle body and iac. Make sure throttle is closing all the way. Where applicable check the maf sensor, check the tps. Check for vacuum leaks. With engine running, block off the mouth of throttle-body, any effect? If no effect, you have false air getting in there from somewhere?

Just to add, blocking off the mouth of throttle-body should kill the engine.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars