BRAKE PRESSURE MODULATOR VALVE REPAIR

• Souljah1
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EXPRESS
  • 142 MILES

Good Evening All!

I have a 2005 Chevrolet express 3500 that needs to have the brake pressure modulator valve replaced according to a local Chevrolet dealer. I would love to have them fix it, but I cannot afford the price they want to charge. I have worked on cars for a long time; I have just never had to change a brake pressure modulator on anything. The vehicle in questions is our family's only transpo, so I have no choice. I am respectfully requesting any advice or are there any special things I need to know(for example: you must align the camshaft dot and the crankshaft dot with the number one piston up, I learned that the hard way at age 15 and had to take the top half of my small block Chevy all back apart.)I truly just need a diagram as to where the brake pressure modulator valve is located, I can handle the rest. The manual I have access to at the moment does not have repair instructions for this in particular problem. Thanks for any help!

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 12:06 AM

• PROTECH1980
  • 928 POSTS

The ebcm/bpmv is located along the inner frame under the vehicle right behind drivers door, just follow all of the brake lines to it, if I can make a suggestion, I would call a salvage yard and get a complete unit, cheaper and easier to install, the BPMV and EBCM(electronic brake control module are mounted together and you would need a tech 2(factory scan tool) to release abs tension gears to install only the BPMV only, but with a complete unit, just unscrew all brake lines and screw um into the salvage unit and bleed brakes and your in business, JUST dont forget the order of brake lines. Hope this helps

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 12:25 AM
  • Souljah1

I so do appreciate the quick response. I will follow your advice & call the salvage yard tomorrow. The only issue I have run into has been that the salvage yards have not had the BPMV, but I never requested the entire unit(ebcm/bpmv)together. Hopefully I will have more success trying this route. Again, Thank you kindly! Have a Great Evening!

Best Regards

+1
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 12:35 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 POSTS

Your Welcome, let me know, we got them from the salvage yard quite a bit at the shop I worked at, due to the high cost of a new units, customers usaully where very happy to go with a used one.

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 12:41 AM
  • Souljah1

To be honest, I would be happy too, knowing how much they want to charge just for that one part, not including labor! If am not able to find the part here used, do you all, by chance, sell and ship?

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 12:57 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 POSTS

Sorry, I really cant help you out there, but thank you for using 2carpros.

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 1:02 AM
  • Souljah1

Thanks anyway! Have a Great Evening PROTECH1980.

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 1:05 AM
  • Souljah1

Hi,

Is it okay to bypass the brake pressure modulator valve and only use my brakes? Basically, is the brake pressure modulator valve necessary for the brakes or is it ABS related? Thank you.

Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 8:50 PM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 POSTS

You have a electrical related issue with the bpmv, which means the abs recognized an electrical fault in the system, turned the abs/brake light on, and shut the abs system down, meaning you will not have abs, your normal braking system will work fine, just no abs.

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 1:28 AM
  • Suburbansforlife

I just a got a quote for my 2001 suburban with 153K miles on it for replacement of the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (error code C0268) and Electronic Brake Control Module (error code C0265). I can't afford to replace the parts right now. I read another post about the possibility of the wheels locking up upon failure of the Brake Pressure modulator valve. Is this a likely outcome or can I just leave it the way it is without ABS system. I only drive the suburban a few miles a day right now and I am looking for the cheapest alternative. If this is a real hazard than maybe I can disengage the system?

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016 AT 4:28 PM