2005 Chevrolet Equinox front end rhythmic thumping

JVANCE512
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • TURBO
My 05 Equinox makes a rhythmic thumping sound when turning either left or right at speeds above 45 mph. I've replaced the front struts, hub assemblies, and sway bar links in the last 6 months. The car has also been aligned twice and the tires are only 1 month old. Any ideas?
Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 AT 8:28 AM

Does the speed of the noise change based on how fast you are going?
Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 AT 8:51 AM
JVANCE512
No it does not. It is rhythmic and thumps at a steady pace.
Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 AT 8:55 AM
Okay, then it isn't tire or axle related. I will assume that the new tires do the same as the old ones. Listen, has anyone actually checked steering components such as tie-rods?
Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 AT 4:57 PM
JVANCE512
Ok. So here is an update. I drove on the interstate for the first time since it started making this noise. The speed of the thump does increase with speed. Also there is a VERY bad vibration when driving above 65 mph. It vibrates so violently that the jack and stuff in the back of the car rattles.
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 9:38 AM
Are you certain tire balance is correct? Have you checked for a bent rim? Have you checked for a shifted belt or broken bent in a tire? Have you checked steering components such as tie rods?
Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 AT 5:45 PM
JVANCE512
The sidewalls of the tires do not show any signs of warping or anything like that so I do not think that I have a busted band, unless you know of another sign to look for for a busted band. I have not had them checked to make sure they are still in balance. I will do that though and also have the tie rods checked when I do. Thanks. I'll update you when I know more.
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 AT 5:00 AM