2005 CHEVY EQUINOX DOOR HANDLE

• stephaniesn
  • 2005 Chevrolet Equinox

Interior problem
2005 Chevy Equinox Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

One day I went to open my door from the inside and it sounded like the spring fell out and now I cannot open my door from the inside. How much would it cost to repair this problem.

Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 8:29 AM

• tooomanytoys

The interior door panel needs to come off to verify what part failed, before a estimate can be figured. It may be as simple as the cable just popped out. To more costly like the door latch assembly needing to be replaced.

Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 8:36 AM
  • orizzle

Did you ever get this fixed? Same thing happened to my equinox a couple days ago. The driver side door won't open from the inside too. I can open it from the outside just not the inside.

+1
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:17 PM
  • shay516

Did you ever get this fixed? Same thing happened to my equinox a couple days ago. The driver side door won't open from the inside too. I can open it from the outside just not the inside.[/Quote:205fc6cf46]

Same thing happened to me months ago. I got an estimate and it was over $500 for the parts and labor. I took my door panel off and looked at it-the assembley plastic piece had completely broken. It was a piece that held the spring latch for the handle. Can't find the part anywhere else but the overpriced dealer!

Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 10:23 AM
  • lmatthewsaustin

This just happened this afternoon with my 2007 Equinox - driver door, inoperable from inside - works from outside! Hope the fix isn't really $500!

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 10:40 PM
  • RosalindLJ

Just to chime in.... Happened to my 2005 Equinox back in September - kinda decided to live with it for a while since I know the "parts & labor" thing will most definately add up given past experience with this car -- just try to replace a heater ****. Stupid pieces of plastic! I was able to fix the door on my Accord myself, this is silly.

Saturday, December 31st, 2011 AT 12:13 AM
  • beginnersluck

So this happened to me as well. I googled "can't open door from inside" in google, and found a few general resolutions of take the door panels off and find the issue.
I was in the middle of doing just that when I thought, why don't I google, "door won't open from the inside equinox" to see if someone else had found the issue already. And low and behold I saw Shays answer today. Its a good thing too, cause I would have been pretty mad if I had gotten all the way through taking off the door panels and still not be able to fix this issue.
I think I still might attempt to fix it, but not before I take a good long look at the specs. If it is a little small piece of plastic I think I can just make it cause I simple don't have 500 to give anyone for something so simple.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 AT 5:38 PM
  • dbsmith

I just had the same thing happen to my wife's Equinox. It's the lock/door handle mechanism that needs to be replaced. A plastic piece that holds the rod that releases the door latch, snapped off of the handle. There is a video on You tube that explains how to do it. The part is approx $50.00 dollars from the dealer. It took me about 10 minutes to get the door panel and the handle off. Actually took me longer to find out where to get the handle from than to get it off. Every dealer I checked had to order the part, so the wife has to drive without the side panel until the part comes in. Here is a link to the You tube video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY6asyM2R6g

+2
Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 6:49 PM