2004 VOLVO XC90 T6 POWER STEERING LEAKING

• sugree
  • 2004 Volvo V90
  • AWD
  • automatic

My power steering is leaking. Is this something I can repair myself?

Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 5:35 PM

• fixitmr

That's a good question. Anything is possible if you have the tools and the time as they say. Whether it's easy or hard depends on where the leak is. You have a pump and hoses/connections and the steering unit itself as possible leak points.

-1
Saturday, April 2nd, 2011 AT 5:57 PM
  • sugree

I was able to find out exactly what needs fixing. Power steering reservoir. Can I fix this myself? If so, what parts do I need?

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 5:58 PM
  • fixitmr

So you mean the leak is apparent at the reservoir? Is it the reservoir itself or a hose connection?

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 6:51 PM
  • sugree

All the estimate says is steering reservoir and $350 to fix it. I was told that fluid was leaking, they tightened the hose to stop leaking temporarily. That is all the information I was provided.

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 7:02 PM
  • fixitmr

And actually tighening the hose may be all that is required? I take it you ran low on fluid and the steering was noisy and that's how you became aware of the problem?

+1
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 7:18 PM
  • sugree

Thanks for your rude comment. I will not need someone to baby step me and walk me through the process. I was just hoping that someone with experience could tell me what parts I need and I could go from there. I came to this sight asking for your expertise not your opinion!

And no, I did not run low on fluid. My car was in the shop having the transmission replaced and they notified me of other problems with the car. I was hoping to repair what I can myself, rather then paying Volvo an arm and a leg to do it for me.

Thanks!

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 7:52 PM
  • fixitmr

Your question while seemingly sensible and complete was uninformative and VAGUE. This tends to make me think a CHILD is asking the question? Or a completely inexperieneced adult that believes they are dealing with their psychic?

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 8:13 PM
  • sugree

And you call yourself an expert. You are not being paid to give your opinions. If I knew what parts I needed, I would not be here asking.

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 8:34 PM
  • fixitmr

The obvious parts you might need are the reservoir and it's hoses and clamps? Did you even look under the hood yet? They also told you they did a temporary fix? Did you check to see if it worked? Maybe it's a permanent fix? Clamps can get loose and all they need is tightening. I'm done now. Nice discussing this with you.

Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 11:14 PM
  • sugree

Thanks for your help. Was it that difficult to tell me what I needed in the first place? I will make sure to tell this site how condescending you have been. Oh yeah, they can read it for themselves.

Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM