BAD MOTOR MOUNTS CAN CAUSE THE VIBRATION AROUND 60-80 MPH? ( AFTER TIRE BALANCING)

2004 Volkswagen Passat

changchingchi

October, 14, 2012 AT 3:57 PM

Hi, guys.

Just got the 2004 passat V6 a mouth. There are so many problems. When I got the car, I found my car has a vibration around 60-80mph. (Pretty strongly shaking, and I can even feel the pulsation on the gas pedal. The whole car is sharking! ) I was told the control arms for both side was bad, and the cv axles. So I replaced them with aftermarket. But the vibration still there. Then I do the whole 4 tires re-balancing. But the problem still there. After doing these, the mechanic also told me my engine mounts for both side was worn and need to be replace. Now, it is a dilemma, should I really invest it onto this car. I don't wanna put the money in and got nothing( problem still there like before).

if I really need to replace it, I may just replace it with those aftermarket. $50 for each one. I don't have that much budget.

I got few symptom that I felt it is motor mount but I am not sure:

1. When starting from a full stop, there is a clunk. ( Hit the gas pedal strongly)
2. There is a click sound coming with the clunk.
3. The vibration, for me, come from the driver side.

help you guys can help me.

October, 14, 2012 AT 4:01 PM

Engine mounts would not cause vibrations at high speeds. The problem is mostly drive train related and it seems to be from the CV shafts. Bad inner joints of CV shaft would cause that.

Engine Torque Mount Replacement
Engine Mount Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue 2002-2007
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX