MY CAR KIND OF JERKS WHEN I PRESS ON THE GAS

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

Anonymous

November, 14, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

My car kind of jerks when I press on the gas. It moves but I cant really drive it over 45. It can be driven faster but I don't really feel comfortable doing so. Theres kind of a smell too when driven that fast. The "check engine" light flickers every so often. Normally when I'm going from a complete stop to moving. Theres also a clicking sound under the hood. The car turns over and starts fine. There's no overheating or smoking. Everything else seems fine.

Thank you for your time and assistance. =)

Jenna

exovcds

November, 14, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

Jenna, the check engine light flickers / flashes when ever there is an engine Misfire. If your engine is a 4 cylinder, loss of 1 cylinder (due to
a misfire) will result in a noticeable power loss.

You'll need to get the engine computer scanned to see what the exact code(s) is. Auto Parts stores offer free scanning. Not all.

Once you have that info, more help can be supplied.

Going straight to a VW Specialty Shop that you trust, would be the easiest, as that would save you the trouble of having to post back here.

Extended driving with a misfiring cylinder can cause more damage, so try to keep the driving down to as little as possible. Or at least try to
avoid the conditions that cause the light to blink.

You might just need new Ignition Wires or an Ignition coil. If it's a 1.8T, there are 4 coils, no wires.

Thomas

Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element