BATTERY/CHARGING LIGHT IS ON AND THE BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR ARE GOOD

• jonahpk
  • 2004 Toyota Highlander

2004 Highlander Limited w/3.3L V6-110,000 miles

AC clutch and cooling fan come on when car is off. One morning last week I came out to find the cooling fan running on the car. I unplugged the fan and went to work. Two days later the battery was dead. I charged the battery and the charging light came on the dash. The car runs fine, unless I turn on the heater or AC. I checked the battery and alternator and they are both fine. After checking fuses and other connections I went to put the ground terminal back on and noticed that the AC clutch engaged.

I unplugged the AC compressor and the cooling fan comes on and the battery light stays on. I unplugged the cooling fan relay and the light went off. But, the car won't run for long at idle this way. If the car dies, I hear some inconsistent clicks from the fuel pump and some clicks under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I am just about at my wits end chasing this issue. Help?

Friday, April 20th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM

• mhpautos

Put every thing back as it was originally and replace the fan relay, I would start here.

Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 12:06 AM
  • jonahpk

I replaced the fan relay with the relay for the rear defroster (they are the same kind. Nothing changes.

Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 12:24 AM
  • mhpautos

Looking at mitchell 1 data base, there are 3 fan relays, test them all.

Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 2:41 PM