CHECKING VALVE CLEARANCE

2004 Toyota Corolla

bcpryor

March, 8, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla, with shim under bucket valves, and 76000 miles. Two toyota mechanics told me that they check valve clearance. Never had a valve adjustment, runs fine.

saturntech9

March, 8, 2012 AT 6:15 PM

The reason for checking and adjusting those valves is for maintance. You have them checked and adjusted to prevent issues like burnt or damaged valves from being the incorrect adjustment.

bcpryor

March, 8, 2012 AT 6:30 PM

Thanks, but does not answer the question.
The dealer told me the Minimum charge to check and adjust is $1000.00!
Do I need to pay this exorbitant price when they may just listen with a tube and nothing else?

saturntech9

March, 8, 2012 AT 6:38 PM

I have never heard of listening to a valve clearance before. What is your zip code so I can see what the prices are running for valve adjustments?

bcpryor

March, 8, 2012 AT 7:01 PM

For a "shim under bucket" adjustment, clearances are measured, written down and compared with specification. Camshafts must then be removed, and the correct shims installed to arrive at the correct clearances, re install cams, and recheck clearances. $1000.00 is in the ballpark for this job. What I am trying to find out is on this model, do they really have to do all of that. As I stated, two toyota mechanics have said that they ONLY tear down and adjust if noise is present. The real question is do these valves get noisy when they need adjustment, or not?

saturntech9

March, 8, 2012 AT 11:03 PM

If they got too loose of a clearance yes they would get noisey. If they were too tight they wouldnt.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz