A/C CLUTCH

2004 Toyota Corolla

jcantergiani

June, 25, 2011 AT 5:23 AM

'04 Corolla, 175K A/C system had never been touched before this problem happened. A/C clutch will not engage when it's hot outside. Early in the morning or late at night (when it's not so hot) the clutch WILL engage and I get cold air for about 5 or 10 minutes, then nothing until the next early morning or late night. Do you think this is a worn clutch stator (electro-magnetic coil)? I had the system evacuated and recharged with the correct amount of fresh 134a and also replaced the VERY expensive A/C clutch relay. Thanks for the help.

Danlesabre

June, 25, 2011 AT 7:11 AM

How much fresh 134a did you add? Do you know how much the system takes? Did you vacuum system after evacuation?

jcantergiani

June, 25, 2011 AT 2:25 PM

The system calls for 18 oz of 134a. Yes, the system was evacuated, vacuumed, and properly recharged. When the clutch engages, the system blows cold for 10 minutes. The clutch only engages early in the AM or late in the PM. This problem started before the system had EVER been touched. Thanks.

Danlesabre

June, 26, 2011 AT 4:12 AM

If the system is not over-charged, you most likely have a bad high pressure switch.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour