Hooked up battery jackstart wrong way

REVERSEBATTERY
  • 2004 TOYOTA AVENSIS
Hooked up battery jackstart wrong way. Was correctly advised to check fuses. Found 3 including main 100a. All systems now ok, apart from battery light stays on. Revving managed to put a small charge in, but battery just ran down. Drove for 5 miles and restarted just, but completely dead now. Battery shape red light on dash is permanently on. Have checked loads of fuses. Where are all the relevant fuses so I can recheck or any other causes?Can you help please?
Saturday, November 24th, 2012 AT 11:24 AM

KHLOW2008
The alternator seems to have failed. Have it tested.
Saturday, November 24th, 2012 AT 1:13 PM
REVERSEBATTERY
Thank you. I will get it checked but was wondering if there is a fuse for alternator I have not checked. I have looked at all fuses but under steering wheel which are more difficult to get into, or a loose wire? Would connecting battery pos/neg wrong way in jumpstart by mistake, have damaged alternator?
Sunday, November 25th, 2012 AT 2:52 PM
KHLOW2008
Usually reversing the polarity would not damage the alternator as the fuses would have blown before any damage occurs but for electrical components, it can still occur.

You needed a jumpstart, that could mean the alternator was already bad before the problem. Was the charge indicator light showing prior to this occurring?
If the problem is due to a fuse, you would not see the charge indicator light when ignition switch is turned on.

Alternator fuses are underhood.
Sunday, November 25th, 2012 AT 9:10 PM