RATTLE SOUND AT STARTUP/IGNITION

2004 Subaru Liberty

Aten

April, 8, 2011 AT 8:37 AM

I have viewed your very informative "auto-rattling or rattle-sound" page and it didnt cover a noise at ignition. I drive a 2004 Subaru Liberty GT. For a few years now, every few times I start the car, a rattling sounds occurs then dissipates. It occurs for 2 seconds in total. Car starts up fine every time but the noise only occurs every few times I start the car and it can happen at anytime of the day when the car is hot or cold.

Subaru have checked the heat shields and extractors and there's nothing loose there. I hope that made sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

merlin2021

April, 8, 2011 AT 9:07 AM

Usually to find a rattle in a heat shield you need to be under it when its started. Heat shields have a tab welded to the pipe and its under the shield. Hard to find use a rubber mallett to locste it. If its more like a rapping it could be engine bearing wear. Noise dissapatates as oil pressure builds.

Aten

April, 8, 2011 AT 9:34 AM

Hi there. Dont worry about heat shields because as I stated, it is not them. You wrote; "if its more like a rapping it could be engine bearing wear. Noise dissapatates as oil pressure builds."

Could you elaborate more on rapping? Im sorry but Im dissapointed at your very rushed reply. Would you kindly reply in full. Thank you so much.

merlin2021

April, 8, 2011 AT 10:52 AM

Lower engine bearings if worn will have a short rapping sound until oil pressure builds. Upper engine will make a ticking noise. Check oil pressure with a gauge by removing the sender and screwing the gauge in. Start the engine and take reading at idle and at 2500 rpm. Post result.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX