Engine area noise

DANRACE
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
Hi I have a 2004 Saturn Vue. Starting hearing this noise from engine area like a whooping sound. Sounds like a sewing machine sound. Its making this sound when you would take off from a dead stop and when you get close to slowing down. It gets faster or slower with the engine rpms. It does get louder right before you slow down and when its going faster you dont hear it hardly since its going faster. One thing I did notice is when idling in driveway in park and neutral you hear it slighty but in drive and reverse you do not hear the noise. I cannot pinpoint it at this time.

Thanks for your help! Dan
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 5:32 AM

Check to make sure the serp belt isn't coming apart and have a piece of belt whiping around and hitting something.
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 5:34 AM
DANRACE
No the belt is fine.
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 5:54 AM
DANRACE
Have any other suggestions?
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 6:21 AM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one do you have a 4cyl vue if so is it a automatic?If thats the case then its probably the belt in the transmission making noise very common on those vues.I have repalced a lot of transmission side covers for that noise. Will make that noise in park and when you put it in drive and take off will sound like a sewing machine.
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM
DANRACE
Hi yes its a 4 cyl and automatic.I jacked it up on one side and put it in drive then got under vehicle and heard that noise in that area thinking it might be the cv joint. When u say transmission side cover is this acessable without taking transmission apart? What am I looking at as far as price and labor since I will be taking it in for inspection tmro.

Thanks 4 your help!
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:33 AM
SATURNTECH9
Its called the side cover it has the input shaft output shaft the drive belt etc. You have to drop the sub frame exhaust remove the transmission remove the transmission valve body torque all the bolts and remove the side cover. But before you do all that you have to have a complete pressure test done to make sure you dont have a pressure issue that caused the noisey side cover.I have seen some bad valve bodys and pumps on those transmissions. Its very expensive to do thousands of dollars. Just the side cover is several thousand plus labor. How many miles do you haveon your vue?
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 3:55 AM
DANRACE
I have 119.000 miles on it.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:02 AM
SATURNTECH9
Then your out of luck there saturn was going up to 100,000 miles or so many years if there was a problem with the transmission they were helping out with the repairs. You can try contacting gm customer care center and see what they say its worth a try. But a 100,000 miles is industry standard for the life of a car these days. So the noise is coming from the transmission?
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:21 AM
DANRACE
Well I hope u are wrong with where noise is coming from but will keep u posted and thanks 4 your help! I bought the car used 10 day ago.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 5:02 AM
SATURNTECH9
If you can hear it when taking off from a stop then most likely thats what it is.I have repaired a lot of those transmission for that very reason and I mean a lot.I have also repaired a lot of them for broken drive belts.I remember going to training on those before they came out for sale to public and test driving them and I said what a piece of junk this is going to be.I was totally right that transmission is a real piece of junk. Thats why they stop using them and had a class action lawsuit over that transmission. Keep me posted.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 5:54 AM
DANRACE
Well I will call gm and see what they say and what type of transmission is being used on them when replaced due 2 lawsuit?
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 1:12 PM
SATURNTECH9
Its the cvt transmission google it so you have all the info you need. Keep me posted.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:44 PM
DANRACE
So I went and called Saturn as you said and told them whats going on. So I got a same day appt 2 a dealership arranged by Saturn and close by in my area and took it in and said they would do a diagnostics check on the transmission. It cost 109.00 2 do it so I said go ahead and they kept the vehicle and would call me with results and send in their findings 2 Saturn HQ and within 48 hours would call me to see if what they would cover. The guy at the dealership feels they will work with me that being G.M. To cover half the cost but will not take that offer, because I have a reliable great mechanic who used to work 4 ford and Chevy and works out of his garage and in the past has saved me cash. He checked the car out by taking starter off and checking flywheel for any screws or bolts that hold it down thinking maybe something loostened up and was rubbing but no luck. He will fix it for the fraction of the cost. To him it sounds like a rubbing sound. If it is the belt do they now have a upgrade 4 that notorious cvt? More 2 come.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 10:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
To my knowledge they have no upgrade just make sure that gm checks the pressures because it takes a special high pressure transmission gauge not a common tool and pretty much used on those transmission. It also takes a tech2 scan tool to comand the line pressure solenoid to the correct amps to read the pressures. That scan tool is very expensive and you would also have to have the correct software as well. Bare min you would need to fix it is a couple of gallons and few quarts of the cvt fluid and fluid additive also the special silcone to reseal the transmission case which is expensive and a side cover assembly. Just make sure the pressure is good because if its not you will ruin the new side cover.I would see what half of the repair is verus the guy in the garage keep your options open. Keep me posted though.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 11:17 PM
DANRACE
Hi, well the trans was not covered by saturn since its over 100,000 my friend took it 2 his buddy that has a shop and looked at the transmission and when opened it up there was nothing wrong that they could see. Only thing they saw was that the belt had play in it and did not see any marks where it was rubbing anywhere. So I re read the answer you wrote as far as you wrote a couple of gallons of what needed? My friend said fluid is expensive. Can u tell me how much amount of what will be needed so I can have an idea if its expensive as he says it is? Thanks Dan
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 3:51 AM
SATURNTECH9
You cant see the noise when you take it apart I have had a lot of those transmissions make noise and couldnt see any damge or anything that looked bad.I replaced the side cover though and the noise was gone. Before you take one apart you always check the pressures like I told you in a earlier post. If you dont check the pressures and you have a pressure issue and just replace the side cover it wont take long for the new side cover to be damaged. If the noise was coming from the transmission its the side cover I know these transmission well. Iam factory trained on them and have repaired so many I have lost count. It takes a special silicone to seal up the side cover which is expensive. The fluid is also expensive It takes 2 one gallon **** plus two quart bottles plus the additive to fill it after tear down.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 4:17 AM
DANRACE
Yes I know you have greatest knowledge first hand and they will check it all out and they are replacing the filter and belt. My friend is just took the trans out and will put it back in. He took it 2 his friend that has a trans shop and familar with the cvt.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 5:06 AM
SATURNTECH9
First of all you cant check the pressures with it all taken apart and you need a special gauge and tech 2 scan tool with the proper software to check the pressures. Second you cant just replace the belt that is not the correct repair if the belt goes bad it went bad for a reason and damages the pulleys which you cant always see the damage to the pulleys. Saturns repair is replacing the whole side cover.I just dont want to see you waste your money on a repair that isnt going to work. You say the guy working on the transmission knows these transmissions and how to repair them so far doesnt sound like it from what you have told me. Iam just looking out for your best intrest and giving you my honest expert advice on repairing it.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 5:16 AM
SATURNTECH9
Also as part of the repair you have to flush the transmission cooler and replace the transmission cooler lines.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 AT 5:20 AM
DANRACE
Hi, well had the transmission taken apart on the 2004 saturn vue and changed belt/filter and told them about the side cover needing replacement. Like u said there was zero evidence of any wear. They said it was fine. So I got the car back was fine with no noise and then came back after a couple weeks. Well 2 top that now the car does not engage in drive and have 2 give it gas 2 get it going and is fine after that but not driving the car. It might be a sensor thats inside of the trans. Well got money back from trans guy and told them I dont want them 2 touch it. Well got a car that cant afford 2 fix right now. My dad said 2 get rid of it as is but I will lose lots of cash 4 what I paid 4. Now it needs 2 be torn down again 4 sure.
Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 AT 4:04 PM