CLUNK NOISE IN , NEW PARTS, EVERYTHING IS TIGHT AND CHECKED TWICE. COULD IT BE STRUT MOUNTS

2004 Saturn Ion

troy31

October, 9, 2011 AT 11:57 PM

New struts, tie rod ends, drag links, ball joints. Wheel bearings are new 10,000 miles ago. Tranny and frame bolts are tight, as well as motor mounts

caradiodoc

October, 10, 2011 AT 12:16 AM

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.

saturntech9

October, 10, 2011 AT 1:18 AM

Just to add to this one number one cause for clunk in the front end of a ion is the sway bar bushing and brackets on the 2003 ions. The 2004 ions have a vin break the early ones got the bushings and brackets the later vin ones just got the bushings. If you go over a bump does the front end make a poping noise?Also when driving about 10 mph and turning the wheel to the left and right to make the front end sway can you hear a poping in the front end?Also what is the last 8 digitd of your vin number?When you say drag links do you mean the sway bar links on the front sway bar?The ones that attach the sway bar to the strut?

troy31

October, 10, 2011 AT 1:24 AM

All of what you said is correct. And yes the sway bar links are what I replaced. All the symptoms you talk about are what we are experiencing

saturntech9

October, 10, 2011 AT 1:29 AM

Sounds like the sway bar bushing and possible the brackets I have replaced so many of them for clunking I lost count its really common there is even a bulletin on them. You cant hear the clunking if your not moving and turning the wheel back and fourth correct?Also what is the last 8 digits of your vin number?

Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy