IGNITION KEY WILL TURN BUT CAR WON'T TURN ON

2004 SAAB 9-5

Yessi

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:03 PM

The key will turn in the ignition. The battery is new. Starter works. Car won't turn on. When I turn the key in the ignition the dash lights will all come on but the car won't start. It usually takes a few tries to turn on. Sometimes it helps to turn the key to the ON position and then apply more pressure to push the key further into the ignition. Before this started happening my wireless entry did not work because the ignition switch would not pop up when I pulled the key out.

My radio would stay on as a result as well and had to be turned off manually. At times my car seems to "shudder" (for lack of a better term) while driving and also while parked or in a stopped position. While the car shudders its turbo gauge rises and declines with each shudder. Can anybody tell me what's wrong with my car and how to fix her?

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

Yessi

June, 25, 2012 AT 2:11 PM

The rpms drop when the turbo gauge rises like it wants to die out. Also while driving the turbo gauge drops up and down even when going at a steady pace. Got the battery system checked and they said the starter wasn't sending the correct voltage.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 26, 2012 AT 1:42 AM

Have you had the switch itself checked?

Yessi

June, 29, 2012 AT 3:07 AM

No I haven't. Would I get that checked at a dealership? I'm trying to do this without spending too much money is the thing.

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 10:38 AM

You can test it yourself with a power probe or multi meter. Disconnect the small starter wire end put your meter on it while someone turns the key. This will tell you if or how many volts the starter is getting

Yessi

June, 29, 2012 AT 2:58 PM

I've been trying to find the starter by looking online but I can't seem to locate it. Is there a way you could include a picture?

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide