ANNOYING WHINING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE

• ThomO
  • 2004 SAAB 9-3

I had the water pump changed now it making a annoying whining noise that is coming from the area. Took it in for another water pump still making noise I took it in for a water pump job because it originally broke. When I got it back it was making a annoying whining noise that is steady with the r.P.M.I took it back for another water pump change I got it back and it is still making the whining noise only this time its a louder tone.

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 AT 9:46 PM

• rasmataz

Could be the belt tension loose, tensioner or driven components such AC compressor, PS pump and alternator-

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 AT 10:31 PM
  • ThomO

Considering u don't have to touch the serpentine belt for the water pump exchange I'm doubting that it's any of those also it's coming from behind the motor where the water pump is located I'm hearing that the timing chain may b too tight or need to readjusted that this may be causing the whining

Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 2:00 AM
  • rivermikerat

The image attached shows that the serpentine belt must be removed to remove the water pump. Not being able to touch or hear the problem makes diagnosing it a little difficult. What our reference doesn't show is any involvement with the timing assembly when replacing the water pump.

Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 10:54 PM
  • ThomO

No it doesn't the water pump on a 04 Saab 93 turbo is located at the back of the motor the timing chain runs through it and must b readjusted after the water pump replace I have contacted a actual Saab tech and got my real answer the serpentine belt runs the alternator and ac also the is a belt tensioner and the maine harmonic balencer as shown on ur picture look closer at ur picture. Thanks for ur try but ur wrong

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 3:50 AM
  • rivermikerat

The picture above is for Step 23 of the water pump removal process for a 2004 Saab 9-3 turbo as listed in our online reference.
"23. Mark the direction of rotation, relieve the multigroove belt and remove it using 83 96 095 Belt Circuit Relieving Tool. B207"

7 figures later, Fig 59, attached, shows that removing the serp belt shouldn't be required.

Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 8:27 AM
  • import service

WARNING! Everyone BEWARE when replacing the water pump!

Even when using the required special tool the timing chain still whines!

The balance shaft timing chain must be reset or it will make noise.
We just found this out through experience and want to pass this along to others so they will not walk blindly in to this job.

Note: Mechanics & shops make sure you add extra time to remove timing cover and reset the balance shaft chain tensioner. As this is not included in any labor guides.

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 3:47 PM
  • rivermikerat

IS this from a Saab TSB import service?

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 3:52 PM