GT OVER REVVING

2004 Pontiac Vibe

coreyjp

July, 28, 2011 AT 3:51 AM

Hello I have a 2004 pontiac vibe gt. It is the 1.8 high octane dual overhead cam engine. It just started to over rev when your in too high of a gear and step on pedal. The rpms go up but the actual speed doesnt. Though if you slowly increase gas it slowly acclerates like normal. Its only when im in a high gear for the speed im going and I put the gas pedal all the way too floor. Could it be transmission fluid too low or is it a more serious problemo. Thanks

fixitmr

October, 20, 2011 AT 12:51 AM

Sounds like your CLUTCH is starting to slip(worn out).

DrCranknWrench

October, 20, 2011 AT 1:14 AM

More than likely it is a shift solenoid or the pump is not supplying the pressure needed to hold a gear. This could be due to a faulty pump, O-ring seal or other internal passage problems such as blockages.
Start by getting the trouble codes pulled. Any Advance Auto or Auto Zone will pull the codes for free and make diagnosing the issue much easier.
Get those and get back to us and we will work through the problem.

DrCranknWrench

October, 27, 2011 AT 10:43 PM

Sorry, I posted incorrectly. This is meant for an automatic transmission. Please disregard my post as fixitmr was on the ball.I was off the mark.
I apologize for any confusion.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars