ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

2004 Pontiac Grand Am

tim straub

August, 23, 2011 AT 8:50 PM

2004 Pontiac Grand Am has no power to electrical system when the key is turned to the on position, solenoid engages when key is in start position, but starter doesn't work

saturntech9

August, 23, 2011 AT 9:13 PM

The first thing you need to do is have the battery tested and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Also do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

tim straub

August, 24, 2011 AT 12:06 AM

Battery is good, cables and connections are good and clean, I do not have a multimeter

saturntech9

August, 24, 2011 AT 12:10 AM

So you actually had the battery tested and made sure it was fully charged?Also you will need a multimeter to do some testing. So with the key in the run position no dash lights service engine soon light etc come on?

tim straub

August, 24, 2011 AT 1:13 AM

That is correct, the battery is brand new (purchased today), I will get the meter, and also correct: no dash lights

saturntech9

August, 24, 2011 AT 4:06 AM

Alright keep me posted.

saturntech9

August, 24, 2011 AT 4:48 AM

Alright keep me posted.

tim straub

August, 26, 2011 AT 11:27 PM

Ignition switch is good

saturntech9

August, 27, 2011 AT 4:10 AM

How do you know the ignition switch is good how did you test it?Have you tested all the fuses?

tim straub

August, 27, 2011 AT 8:56 PM

I tested the ignition switch and fuses with a multimeter. I also took the time to replace the ignition switch with a new one just in case I missed the read. Power is good to the distribution box. Also, what I previously thought to be the starter solenoid engaging was actually an electrical part of the intake between the air intake and manifold, possibly a choke system or O2?

saturntech9

August, 27, 2011 AT 9:41 PM

That solenoid would be like a cross over solenoid just a guess I would have to look that up. So your getting power to the ignition switch?Do you dash warning lights service engine soon etc?Or does everything work except the starter?

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L