2004 Grand Am electrical problems

TIM STRAUB
  • 2004 PONTIAC GRAND AM

2004 Pontiac Grand Am has no power to electrical system when the key is turned to the on position, solenoid engages when key is in start position, but starter doesn't work

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 8:50 PM

SATURNTECH9

The first thing you need to do is have the battery tested and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Also do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
TIM STRAUB

Battery is good, cables and connections are good and clean, I do not have a multimeter

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 12:06 AM
SATURNTECH9

So you actually had the battery tested and made sure it was fully charged?Also you will need a multimeter to do some testing. So with the key in the run position no dash lights service engine soon light etc come on?

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 12:10 AM
TIM STRAUB

That is correct, the battery is brand new (purchased today), I will get the meter, and also correct: no dash lights

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 1:13 AM
SATURNTECH9

Alright keep me posted.

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 4:06 AM
TIM STRAUB

Ignition switch is good

Friday, August 26th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM
SATURNTECH9

How do you know the ignition switch is good how did you test it?Have you tested all the fuses?

Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 4:10 AM
TIM STRAUB

I tested the ignition switch and fuses with a multimeter. I also took the time to replace the ignition switch with a new one just in case I missed the read. Power is good to the distribution box. Also, what I previously thought to be the starter solenoid engaging was actually an electrical part of the intake between the air intake and manifold, possibly a choke system or O2?

Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 8:56 PM
SATURNTECH9

That solenoid would be like a cross over solenoid just a guess I would have to look that up. So your getting power to the ignition switch?Do you dash warning lights service engine soon etc?Or does everything work except the starter?

Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 9:41 PM
TIM STRAUB

No power to dashboard, no dome light, no door chime, etc. Also no power to head lights, wipers, or hazards. Battery is good and connections are good. There is power to the distribution box and all the fuses are good. I do hear a relay or solenoid that is part of the intake or O2 system activate upon turning the key, but that is the only item that seems to have power.

Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 4:52 AM