TIMING BELT

2004 Nissan Xterra

mmblake

May, 4, 2011 AT 6:55 PM

2004 nissan xterra 3.3liter, I need to put my timing belt back on. My screw up was marking the belt with the marks on the sprockets and crank but not orienting at TDC before doing so. When I went to put the belt back on the marks don't line up, looks like I am off by several teeth, cams must have moved some while I put the new water pump on. Am I ok to rotate both cams clockwise to the alignment mark keeping them both in sync and then rotate the crank to TDC and put the belt on. I know I shouldn't have attempted this as I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help. Mike

May, 4, 2011 AT 7:59 PM

Here are the diagrams.

You can turn the camshafts but DO NOT force them and if resistance is felt, back off and repeat. Turn crankshaft at least 20 degrees away from TDC to lower the pistons.

mmblake

May, 4, 2011 AT 8:25 PM

Now I have the cams aligned to their marks and now the marks I originally put on the belt line up but I noticed the factory belt marks are to far apart whats the deal with that? If I put the factory belts marks on the sprocket marks I end up with about one or two inches of slack across the top between the sprockets what am I missing? Mike

May, 5, 2011 AT 1:26 PM

Do you have the correct section for the factory marks? All 3 should be aligned if it is correctly installed.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz