TIMING BELT NISSAN XTERRA

• Mmblake
  • 2004 NISSAN XTERRA

2004 nissan xterra 3.3liter, I need to put my timing belt back on. My screw up was marking the belt with the marks on the sprockets and crank but not orienting at TDC before doing so. When I went to put the belt back on the marks don't line up, looks like I am off by several teeth, cams must have moved some while I put the new water pump on. Am I ok to rotate both cams clockwise to the alignment mark keeping them both in sync and then rotate the crank to TDC and put the belt on. I know I shouldn't have attempted this as I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help. Mike

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 6:55 PM

• KHLow2008

Here are the diagrams.

You can turn the camshafts but DO NOT force them and if resistance is felt, back off and repeat. Turn crankshaft at least 20 degrees away from TDC to lower the pistons.

+3
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 7:59 PM
  • Mmblake

Now I have the cams aligned to their marks and now the marks I originally put on the belt line up but I noticed the factory belt marks are to far apart whats the deal with that? If I put the factory belts marks on the sprocket marks I end up with about one or two inches of slack across the top between the sprockets what am I missing? Mike

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 8:25 PM
  • KHLow2008

Do you have the correct section for the factory marks? All 3 should be aligned if it is correctly installed.

Thursday, May 5th, 2011 AT 1:26 PM