RATTLING WHEN I GET OFF THE GAS

2004 Nissan Sentra

ashaway12

February, 21, 2011 AT 8:48 PM

I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 speed manual trasnmission. I have about 92000 miles on the car.

When I am driving and get off the gas, when the rpms get down between 2500 and 2000 there is a strange loud rattling/squeeking noise. It only happens in that rpm range and only happens when I get off the gas and the car is in gear. When I accelerate it does not make a noise, or if I shift into neutral it does not make the noise. It almost sounds like its in the console or just in front of the shifter, right in the front center of the car. Thanks for everyones help!

Docfixit

February, 21, 2011 AT 9:49 PM

Maybe CAT that is its location if core broken up it will rattel when backpressure increases. Jack up and bang on CAT hear rattling

ashaway12

February, 21, 2011 AT 10:01 PM

Thanks Docfixit. Stupid question, by CAT you mean Catalytic Converter? The reason I ask is my service engine light has been on for a while and the error code refers to something in the catalytic. I was hoping to avoid an expensive catalytic repair.

Docfixit

February, 21, 2011 AT 10:19 PM

Yes CAT is catalitic is code P0420?

ashaway12

February, 21, 2011 AT 10:23 PM

Yes the code is P0420. What does that mean for my car? If the catalitic needs to be replaced is the car unsafe to drive?

Docfixit

February, 22, 2011 AT 5:34 PM

Means CAT operating below effeciency you can drive car but fuel milage may decrease and CAT may clog up

Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement